Tuesday 28 February 2012

Reading

I've been trying to get back into reading recently.

I started with 'The Hobbit'. I really want to see the film when it comes out in December but thought I would read the book first, since books use your own imagination and once you've seen a film, you tend to rely on the film's visuals instead of creating your own.

'The Hobbit' was OK. I've never really been into that type of book before so it was a new genre for me. I can't say I loved it, but I did finish it so that's better than hating it.

Then I read 'One Day' by David Nichols. I'd heard good reviews of this and again, it's been made into a film which I might try and get hold of if I can find a copy second hand. I did enjoy this book, and it had a twist at the end which I had to read about 3 times before I could believe what had happened!!

Next on my list is 'The Lord of the Rings', for the same reason that I read 'The Hobbit' really. I have got the DVD's waiting to be watched so I need to read the books first. I suspect that reading the books and then watching the films will probably take me up until Christmas - just in time for 'The Hobbit' film!

I have also got 'The Boy in the Striped Pyjama's' and 'The Time Traveller's Wife' waiting to be read as well, so I probably do have enough to keep me going for the rest of the year! I bought those because again, I have heard good reviews and I thought I might need something to break up 'The Lord of the Rings' with!

I got all of these from charity shops including the DVD's. I prefer to buy books rather than go to the library because I hate feeling pressured by time limits to finish a book. Yes, I know you can renew library books, but it's just something else to remember to do and I struggle to remember the stuff I must do, let alone adding extra things to the list. Brand new books always feel like a waste of money when there are millions of unwanted books waiting to be read, hence looking in charity shops. Sometimes it takes a while to find what I want, but there are now charity bookshops popping up in bigger towns, rather than just a single shelf in a regular shop.

Here's a taster of 'The Hobbit' which will be released in December 2012.

No comments: